Dr. Simcha Raphael
- Founder and Director, DA’AT INSTITUTE – Death Awareness, Advocacy and Training
- Ph.D., Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA (1986)
- Rabbinic Pastor, ordination by Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi (1990)
- Transpersonal Psychotherapist, Mount Airy Counseling Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Adjunct Faculty, Psychology Department, Bryn Athyn College,
Bryn Athyn, PA
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Religion, La Salle University, Philadelphia, PA
- Professor of Jewish Spirituality, D. Min. Program in Jewish Spirituality, Graduate Theological Foundation, Mishawaka, IN
- Adjunct Associate Professor (2007-2014), Jewish Studies, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Spiritual Director (1999-2009), Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, Wyncote, PA
- Fellow, Rabbis Without Borders
- Free-lance educator on mysticism, spirituality, death, afterlife and bereavement
- Author Jewish Views of the Afterlife, Jason Aronson, 1996, Rowman and Littlefield, 2009 (2nd edition)
- Author The Grief Journey and the Afterlife: Jewish Pastoral Care for Bereavement, Albion-Andalus Books, 2014
- Author Living and Dying in Ancient Times: Death, Burial and Mourning in Biblical Tradition, Albion-Andalus Books, 2015
- Author May the Angels Carry You, Jewish Prayers and Meditations for the Deathbed, Albion-Andalus Books, 2016
- Born July 1, 1951 Ste. Agathe des Monts, Quebec
- Married to Rabbi Geela Rayzel Raphael
- Father of Hallel [b. 1998] and Yigdal Raphael [b. 1990]
Welcome to my web page – glad to share with you the ways in which I offer my skills and experiences.
As a Psychotherapist, Bereavement Counselor and Spiritual Director
I provide transpersonal psychotherapy; individual and group bereavement counseling; couple counseling; spiritual direction; marriage preparation; interfaith counseling; pastlife therapy; pastoral care and hospice support.
As a Death Awareness Educator
I am available for public and professional programs on death awareness education, bereavement counseling skills and the spirituality of afterlife, near-death experiences and reincarnation.
As a Rabbinic Pastor and Ritual Consultant
I work with individuals in creating meaningful personal rituals for weddings, baby-naming, memorial services, funerals, unveilings, as well as personal and communal rituals of grief and mourning.